Jan 13, 2012

Something to Cook - Beef Tips and Rice

I like to cook. My wife hates it.  So, I get to cook a lot. Now, I don't "LOVE" to cook.  I don't sit around conjuring up dishes in my kitchen in my spare time.  However, I do like the art of cooking.  And my wife is not a bad cook.  She's actually gotten pretty good lately.  She just doesn't like cooking and has no patience in the process. So from time to time I thought I might give you some things I have tried that my family seems to enjoy.

Tonight, we're having beef tips and rice.  I realized about 4 months ago that I really liked beef tips but had no idea how to make them.  I also wanted to find a recipe I could cook in a crock-pot because I didn't want to have to tackle it when I came home.  So I researched the internet and read through about a dozen recipes on beef tips in a crock pot.  I combined what looked good for me and this is what I came up with.

3-4 pounds of beef tips or stew meat (They are usually cut pretty big so I cut them in half)
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 can Golden Mushroom or Beefy Mushroom soup (depends on what your grocery store carries)
1 packet Lipton Onion Soup mix
3 cans of beef broth
Salt and Pepper

Season the beef tips with salt and pepper (and maybe some Cajun Seasoning) and dredge in some flour. Lightly brown the tips in a skillet in some vegetable oil. Put the dry onion soup mix, Golden Mushroom soup, and Cream of Mushroom soup in the crock-pot and mix in one can of beef broth.  Add the browned beef tips and cover with remaining beef broth.  Cook on low 8-10 hours or high 4-5 hours.  Serve over rice. Enjoy!

This is one of my kids favorites. Now I'm hungry and going to eat some!

0 comments: