Jun 7, 2009

Most Memorable Sports Moment #9

Buster Douglas Defeats Mike Tyson

I remember when I first heard about an unknown guy named Buster Douglas defeating Mike Tyson. I was in college at MSU and my roommate Sam came in and said, "Did you hear that Mike Tyson got knocked out?" I thought for sure he was egging me on. For those of you who remember Tyson's early career, this guy was a monster. He was the most dominating boxer in the world and on a fast-pace to be the greatest boxer ever. He didn't just beat opponents, he destroyed them. He won 26 of his first 28 wins by knockout. He knocked out 16 guys in the first round! He was so dominant they made a video game out of him that everyone had - Mike Tyson's Punchout.

In February 1990, Tyson went to Japan to fight an unknown guy named Buster Douglas. This fight was such a mismatch that it wasn't even on TV to my recollection. I didn't even know he was fighting. We all assumed Tyson couldn't be beat. However, he was destroyed in the 10th round by Douglas and knocked down and out for the first time in his career. It was the beginning of the end for Tyson's boxing career. It was later revealed how much of Tyson's personal issues (losing his trainer, marriage and divorce to Robin Givens, etc.) could have contributed to his being distracted. However, at the time, this was a monumental upset.

0 comments: