Sep 27, 2008

Turning 40...

We'll today was the big day...40! People have been teasing me about this day for several weeks now. My brother asked me this morning if I felt 40. I told him I was just as overweight and my blood pressure was just as high as it was when I was 39, so not much different. Had a pretty quiet day for the most part here at the house with the wife and kids. Went to Outback Steakhouse with the fam on a very generous gift card I received and then came home to watch football.

Overall, my 40 years to this point have been blessed. God is gracious and have been more so to me than I deserve. I have an awesome wife who makes me a hero every day. I have three boys who show me more love than I ever thought possible. I am scared each day as I watch them grow up as I think about the responsibility I have to lead them into authentic manhood. Too many moments go by too fast. I try to remember what was going on in my head at 9 or 7 years old. I was probably looking for a baseball game to play. All of a sudden, I was in middle school - then high school and still looking for a baseball game to play. I know that they will face some serious challenges very soon and I pray that I will be more proactive to prepare them.

Here are some things I want to do in the next year:
1. I have to lose some weight. Too much weight and too much stress will cost me time later on. Need to drop about 30 pounds.
2. I need to turn the tv off more and take the boys fishing and to the driving range more often.
3. I need to get a trip somewhere with just my wife.
4. I need to get out of the office and into the marketplace more often.
5. I need to spend a lot more time in God's Word and a lot less time on Facebook and PS3.
6. I need to invest in the men that God has placed in my life on a deeper level. Men need Men to be what God has called them to be.
7. I need to take a one-on-one trip with Nathan and Drew each somewhere.

So 40 is not so bad so far, but I guess now it's time to grow up. :)

0 comments: