May 19, 2010

Mid-Week Check In

Busy, busy days around here at Sixth Street. Lots going on. Wanted to give you a brief review and update:
  • We are super excited to have Amy Young on board as our Children's Ministry/Office Associate. She has hit the ground running! After a planned vacation to visit her sister, she has been radically working to get us a calendar planned for the summer. Take some time to call the church office and welcome her and pledge your support.
  • Dr. Rick Lance was a tremendous blessing to us this past Sunday. He graciously opened his calendar for us and challenged our hearts. I have been deeply influenced by Dr. Lance for many years. Pray for him as he continues to lead us as Alabama Baptists.
  • Pray for me tonight as I am preaching at the City-Wide Evangelistic Services at Faith Temple. I was graciously extended the invitation to preach several months ago. I will be preaching on the Rich Young Ruler in Luke 18. Pray for clarity, power, that the gospel will be central, and that someone will be changed for eternity.
  • If you missed Sunday night, Kent Forbus and his family did a great job leading in special music. They are new to Sixth Street. I am glad that they have jumped in and felt welcome to share their talents with us.
  • Graduate Recognition Service will be this coming Sunday. I am excited to see this historic moment in these students lives. It will also be a time of some proud mamas, dads, and grandparents.
  • Vacation Bible School is just around the corner. We have a great team that has stepped up to the plate to serve this year. The theme is "Heroes Headquarters". We will be teaching children how to team up with Jesus in what he is doing. Our campus will be turned into a hero's lair for the event. Please register your child to be a part of VBS. You can do so here.
  • Pray for my wife Alison and Morgan Jones who are planning on going to Swaizland, Africa in August.  This trip will be working with orphans through Children's Hope Chest.  They have to come up with about $3000 each for the trip.  Pray for their physical, spiritual, and financial preparation.  
  • I encourage you to watch your spiritual life closely.  As good things are happening in the church as we move forward, it is vital that we remain in the vine (John 15).  Everything flows from our spiritual life and devotion to Christ.  Make time regularly for the Word and prayer.  Pray for me as a leader that I can do the same. 
  • I just started a new book by David Platt called "Radical".  I highly encourage you to get it and read it. More to come later.
Verse of the week - "Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure."  Philippians 2:12-13

0 comments: