Mar 18, 2010

Mid-Week Check In

It's been a couple of weeks since I did a "Mid-Week Check In". Lots of stuff going on in my world and I find it challenging to make time to write or blog. Kids have started baseball and are on Spring Break this week. However, the main reason for lack of writing has been preoccupied with other church things and catching up on some reading. Here are some observations from the last couple of weeks.
  • We've finished up our "Going Public" series. I hope it was encouraging and practical for our people. I heard some great comments about the "bridge illustration" where you can share the gospel using a piece of paper and two verses. I also have had several church members tell me that some doors have opened for them the past few weeks. It's amazing when our hearts and minds get focused on witnessing how many doors we see that God opens.
  • Spring Break hit our attendance hard this last Sunday. I knew it would. I hope if you were on vacation that you didn't vacate from attending a house of worship. Our worship of God should never take a vacation. Whenever possible, my family and I try to attend a house of worship when we take a vacation. It's not always possible, but I think it helps keep my kids focused on Sunday as a day for God.
  • Although the crowd was low, we were blessed to have my friends Shawn and Katie Sandlin lead worship in Kevin's absence this last week. This couple has a unique and anointed way of leading worship together. They were very encouraged by the conversations they had with several of our Sixth Street members. We will have them back again soon.
  • In case you heard the rumor, I will verify it. Yes, the boys and I did go "sucker fishing" with Wade Davis and Harry Ward. We had a good time. It was fun watching Nathan and Drew get in that creek with nets and pull out those fish. Thanks Wade and Harry!
  • I'm really digging into our new series this week. We are doing a new series called "Unveiling Easter: A Glimpse Behind the Greatest Story Ever". We are going to try to look at the different events surround the last week of Christ. It is fascinating stuff and gives me a greater appreciation for the sovereignty of God and the suffering of Christ.
  • We have scheduled our Easter Egg Hunt for 4:00 on Easter Sunday afternoon. This will give our families time to go eat with extended family and then come back to the Airport Drive property for a fun time together. We will have some games and hot dogs for the kids. We need church members to donate plastic eggs and candy. We'll also need you to bring some drinks for the event if you can attend. Even if you don't have kids participating, plan to be there to fellowship and enjoy the afternoon.
  • Please make plans to be a part of our prayer-walk this Saturday at 10:00 AM. If you haven't signed up or been assigned to a team yet, just show up and we'll take care of you. It's going to be a blessed time as we walk our community and pray for spiritual strongholds to be broken and for the gospel to penetrate homes.
  • Congrats to Eric and Whitney on their wedding! It was a beautiful ceremony! Pray for Eric and Whitney as well as Kevin and Chery as they are all traveling this week.
Verse of the week - "I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I receive from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God." Acts 20:24

0 comments: