Jan 13, 2010

Monday Morning Clarity

It was another great week at Sixth Street. Despite the continuing cold weather, attendance was good and the spirit inside was warm.
  • We continued in our new series "Ekklesia" this week looking at the focus of the church is God's glory. I was pumped during the prep and teaching of this sermon. God has taught me a lot in the last 5 years about the centrality of the glory of God and it's purpose in the lives of believers. I owe a lot to men like John Piper, Matt Chandler, and Louie Giglio for their insights into this. You can listen to the sermon here. I'd love to hear your feedback.
  • For the first time since November, I got back into the pulpit preaching on Sunday night. We are starting a new Sunday night series preaching through 1 Peter. We will look at what Peter had to say to these believers who were suffering opposition and persecution.
  • I have been reading a really good book by Joshua Harris called "Dug Down Deep" as part of my book review agreement with Waterbrook Multinomah. Hope to have a review up soon.
  • Exciting things are happening here at the church. I believe that 2010 is a strategic year for us and we have a lot of work to do.
  • We had several visitors this past Sunday. I am thankful for the momentum that God has begun and honored to have visitors check us out. We need to make sure that all our Sixth Street people are aware of the newcomers around them and creating a welcoming environment.
  • I am excited about a new effort that Sixth St will be doing along with many other churches in Alabama in the weeks leading up to Easter. We will be prayer-walking homes in the area and asking God for a spiritual harvest on Easter Sunday.
  • Pray for Faye Abrams as she joins a team from FBC, Alex City on a mission trip to Kenya this week. I am thankful for her obedience to take the gospel to the nations. Pray for strength and open doors for the gospel.
  • Don't forget to be spending time in God's Word. Here is an online link to the Bible reading plan I mentioned Sunday morning that I will be using this year. It's the "Discipleship Journal Bible Reading Plan" at the bottom.
Hope you have an awesome week. Verse for the week: "So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." 1 Corinthians 10:31

0 comments: