Nov 19, 2009

A Monday Morning Clarity on Thursday

Greetings everyone. I am sorry that I didn't get an update in the first of this week. I went to the Alabama Baptist State Convention in Huntsville and Pastor's Conference on Monday. Unfortunately, I packed up my computer and stuff and left it on the coffee table when I left, so I was "unplugged" for the week. It was a great time though and my first convention as a senior pastor. I had the privilege to sit with and speak some to Dr. Rick Lance, our State Board of Missions President. He is a godly man and great leader and we are blessed to have him leading the Baptist cause in Alabama.
  • It was another great day at Sixth Street. The music was inspiring and the seats were packed. I was especially moved by the response of our men during our prayer time. It was awesome to see men on their knees interceding for themselves and their families. I want out children to see our men as godly men of prayer and the word. Expect more of this in the future.
  • I had to suck up some pride and preach despite the tail-whooping that the Crimson Tide put on my Bulldogs last Saturday. However, I made my way through it. We looked at "The Walk" and Paul's command in Ephesians 4 to "put off" the old nature and "put on" the new nature. I have loved preaching this series.
  • Mrs. Anna Middlebrooks did a great job Sunday night leading our missions study of the Berber people of North Africa. I pray that we will be a church with a heart for the nations and especially for the unreached people groups around the world. Thanks Mrs. Anna for your hard work on this.
  • I have picked up and started reading this week Mark Driscoll's book "Death by Love". It's a great look at the substitutionary atonement of Jesus. Hope to finish it soon.
  • Look for a big push next Spring called "Across Alabama" that we will take part in. I am working with some of the other SBC churches in Alex City to go "Across Alex City" in prayer walking and gospel distribution next March. It should be an awesome time.
  • Take some time this week to begin to prepare your heart for the upcoming holiday season. We have much to be thankful for and a great Savior to celebrate.

0 comments: