Oct 19, 2009

Monday Morning Clarity (Two Weeks Worth)

Well it's been about two weeks since I was able to post anything to the blog. Mostly because I have been on the road the past two weeks. I spent three days at the Catalyst Conference in Atlanta. (I hope to post some of the insights I gained there soon). Then, my wife and I had the opportunity to get away without the kids to the beach for 4 days last week. I spent a lot of time reading, thinking, and shopping and eating. It was a great and refreshing time. Because of the vacation, I couldn't get the Monday Morning Clarity last week, so I will give 2 weeks worth today.
  • We are going strong in our series "Amazed By Grace". I am having a lot of fun preaching on the grace of God. Last week we looked at "Costly Grace" and the atonement. It's nothing less than amazing to see the depths that God was willing to go to secure our salvation. This week we looked at Romans 8 and the wonderful message that "There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." It was a message of hope and freedom.
  • Lea Odom and our choir knocked one out of the park yesterday with "Revelation Song". It was an awesome and powerful reminder of the holiness of God. Thanks choir for showing us a glimpse of God's glory.
  • We are having a kickoff this Wednesday for our AWANA ministry. There is a lot of excitement about bringing this program back and putting it on Wednesday nights. It will hopefully make us a lot more "family-friendly" on Wednesdays and open the door for us to minister to more families.
  • As I am typing, we have Children's Choir going on. Since we moved it to Monday we have seen a good growth and have had new kids almost every week. What a blessing to see a team of workers committed to teaching our kids to sing and providing a quality program.
  • I had a great meeting with our deacons last night. What a fantastic group of men who have a heart to be godly leaders. I believe that exciting days are ahead for Sixth Street and this group of men will have a big part to play in it. Thanks to Melvin Smith for his leadership during the transition and to Jim Thomas for taking the reigns as Deacon Chairman.
  • October is Pastor Appreciation Month and the church gave me a check yesterday morning. It was certainly undeserved since I've only been here three months. It's a lot of fun to be in the lead chair and see so much potential for the kingdom. In some ways, I feel like I have been on one long Pastor Appreciation since I got here. So many have been generous to buy my family lunch on Sundays, to bring cakes by, to offer such kind words. It verifies to me what a quality group of people call Sixth Street home.
  • After being at Catalyst, I have a greater burden for Sixth Street and for myself to make a bigger impact on social issues globally. The church took up the World Hunger banks from SBC and have already collected over $1000 in lose change for the World Hunger Fund. Alison and I have also been convicted recently to sponsor a child through Compassion International. We have done so in the past but haven't renewed it recently. We, as Christ-followers, have such an opportunity to help a child in another country with basic necessities and the opportunity to hear the gospel. If you would like more info, check out the Compassion website.

I'll leave you today with this one great quote from Charles Swindoll at Catalyst:
"Tradition is the living faith of those now dead. Traditionalism is the dead faith of those now living."

0 comments: